Thursday, August 13, 2009

How many lives do you live?



I had forgotten about this poem a friend of mine had written awhile ago. When I came across this picture I was delighted by the memory of it. I dug it up and thought I would post it.

--Paraphrasing Oscar Wilde

How many lives do we live and relive?
How many unsent letters
have I written and rewritten
on the pages of invisible notebooks?

We dream awake and asleep
reality barely shaking us sober
from the romances of our synapses
live three lives in one day
take a lover for an instant
go back to washing dishes
climb a mountain for a minute
go back to washing dishes
pour your heart out for an hour
finish shaving in the shower
kiss the hollows of their collars
give the cashier the two dollars

that you forgot to give her as you
fell in love with your own stories
making plotlines for the histories and futures
of people you barely know
people you barely know
turn into the love you've always needed
fall in love with your own image
that you cast upon their forms

How many lives do you live

No comments:

Post a Comment